If you’ve been doing the whole back-to-school shopping thing, there’s a good chance that your checkbook may be hurting. As if that isn’t enough, you may want to do something special for the kiddos before they head back to school. Lucky for you, we’ve assembled a list of 10 kid-friendly activities that all take place this week, and best yet, they won’t cost you a dime. Besides that, one lucky reader will wrap up the free-fun day with a pizza from Café Napolitana. Keep reading to find out how to enter to win.
1. Columbus Commons promises free fun all summer long, and mark your calendar for this Friday because it’s the last Commons for Kids event of the season. Enjoy carousel rides, inflatables and all kinds of activities.
2. Splash away your troubles at the Scioto Mile Fountain. It offers great time for interactive water play, and if you come at night, you get to see a great light show, too.
3. If you’re at Scioto Mile on Friday, bring a little music and cultural to the fam with the Rhythm on the River free Friday show. New Basics Brass Band plays.
4. Topiary Park Summer Movie Series presents Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs at Topiary Park this Saturday night. Everyone gets free popcorn before the show. There’s one more show after this Saturday, so mark your calendar for September 24 when The Hunger Games wraps up this free season of outdoor movies.
5. Stroll on through Pearl Market on Tuesday and Friday. Make it an educational event for the kiddos when you stop to talk to the farmers about all the delectable produce that is spread across their tables. You might even walk away with a great back-to-school recipe from one of the farmers.
6. Right across from Pearl Market, the Statehouse offers Summer Friday activities including art and music, and the bonus? Throw in a Ohio history lesson while you’re there.
7. Gather up a posse and head to Discovery Beach for your Olympic-style sand volleyball tournament. Nothing like playing in the sand one more time this summer. There’s no cost to reserve the court. What are you waiting on? Dig into some fun.
8. Did you know that the Columbus Museum of Art is free every Sunday? Woot, woot! Check out the world-class exhibits, and don’t forget the interactive Center for Creativity.
9. How about a picnic at Topiary Park, and then go check out the “new” Downtown Branch of Columbus Metropolitan Library? If you haven’t been there yet, you are in for a big treat.
10. Wanna teach your kids about transit? Bring ‘em downtown and ride the COTA CBUS for free. The cool thing is it runs from the Short North to German Village. You can hop on and off as much as you like. Heck, maybe you should plan a special scavenger hunt for the kiddos.
Click on through to our Facebook page and tell us what your family likes to do for fun downtown, and you’ll be entered to win a pizza from downtown’s own Café Napolitana. Yummo, great way to end a fun day.