Anti-Panhandling: Help Those in Need
Wise Up Columbus is an educational campaign aimed to dispel myths often associated with panhandlers and to encourage people to give to organizations that are committed to helping people get off the street.
Capital Crossroads and Discovery SIDs use a three-pronged approach addresses panhandling downtown – outreach, enforcement and education:
- Connect people genuinely in need with services. Capital Crossroads and Discovery SIDs employ a full-time outreach specialist.
- Contact the Division of Police regarding aggressive panhandlers.
- Discourage giving that often feeds drug and alcohol addiction and fails to get people off the street.
Here’s what you can do to help:
- Provide Streetcards to panhandlers, which contain contact information for organizations that can help people who are in need.
- Give to organizations that truly help people get off the street.
- Contact the SIDs’ customer service hotline number, (614) 228-5718, and request assistance for the individual.